LL-L "Morphology" 2005.04.26 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 26 23:07:52 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.04.26 (01) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>The same goes for "spat" (preterite of "spit").  People
look at me strangely when I say "spat," <

What else could you say?

I spitted????????? that would beg a direct object    What did you spit i.e.
transfix by means of a long thin metal/wooden rod with the intent of
cooking over an open fire!

Stink   stank   stunk   is giving way to stink stunk  stunk       as is
shrink        nowadays one often hears    shrink shrunk shrunk

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Hi, Heather!

> What else could you say?

I spit now. I spit five minutes ago. I have spit many times in the past.
:-)

So:
spit - spat - have spat ~ spit - spit - have spit
shit - shat - have shat ~ shit - shit - have shit

These are now listed in most dictionaries are permissible variants.

Analogous to:
hit - hit - have hit
fit - fit - have fit
quit - quit - have quit

But still:
sit - sat - have sat
(also in American)

Weak:
knit - knitted - have knitted
grit - gritted - have gritted
flit - flitted - have flitted
pit - pitted - have pitted

Don't blame *me* though!  I plead innocence in all of this.