LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.08.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 8 18:23:22 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.AUG.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Deaf culture" [E]

This is harking back to a post made by Ron on 2004-06-23.

> From: R. F. Hahn <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Deaf culture
> also, or do they have their own variant?  What about Limburgish people?  I
> understand that there is only one sign language in the UK now, the Old
> Kentish one being extinct (though its derivative Matha's Vineyard Sign
> Language of Massachussetts is apparently still used, as is Hawaiian Pidgin
> Signing besides American Sign Language in the US.)  So I take it this
> means
> that in England, Wales, Scotland, The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands
> only one sign language is used despite diversity in spoken language.  I
> furthermore wonder if it is right to assume that both Irish and British
> Sign
> Language are used in Northern Ireland.

Some recent observations.

In Mary Brennan's obituary in the latest issue of SignMatters (the British
Deaf Association magazine) it was stated that Mary Brennan was the pioneer
of the term "British Sign Language". She was based at Moray House College of
Education in Edinburgh.

The Brennan/Colville/Lawson book "Words in Hand", which was part of the
Edinburgh BSL Research Project, gives many example BSL signs. Although I
recognise many of them as being exactly the same as my south of England BSL,
many of them are completely different from what I would sign.

In a discussion with a Deaf couple a few weeks ago, I learned that they
frequently visited Scotland and they made mention of a separate sign
language which they called "SSL".

In the personals column of SignMatters a couple of months ago, an Edinburgh
man described himself as a speaker of "Scottish Sign Language and BSL".

As I quoted previously on this list, there is an Northern Ireland Sign
Language which is described as a creole of Irish, British and American Sign
Languages.

In a discussion a few days ago with a Deaf man who grew up in the south west
of England, I asked him if he found the television BSL interpreters easy to
understand. He said yes, unless they were from Wales, London or the north of
England, in which case he can't understand everything.

It all builds up a sort of a picture.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/