LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.29 (10) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 30 02:29:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2005 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.08.29 (07) [E/French]

Jonny and Ron:
> > The same here, but we also use it in the transited sense of 'morast,
> > amorphous stuff of nearly fluid consistence'.
>
> Same here.  It has been extended to meaning any kind of mud-like
substance.

But that's not Klackermaschü, that's Kallermatsch! :-)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Gabriele (baven):

> But that's not Klackermaschü, that's Kallermatsch! :-)

[English below]

Tja, dat kanst licht-vardig seggen as 'n "Eng-Vaalsche"
(Engersch-Oostvaalsche). Man so 'n dwaller-watschigen kraam krigst an de
Water-Kant nich to hoyren.  Nee!  Daar dayt matsch, wen nich bloots
"matsch", "klakker-matsch" (<Klackermatsch>) heten. Kanst ook "slak(ker)"
(<Slack(er)>), "mud" (<Mudd>~ <Mutt>), "modder" ~ "mudder", "morats"
(<Moratz>) ~ "morass" or "slubber" seggen; kümt up de kwaliteyt vun d'n
kraam an (un daar weett wy wat vun af).  "Klakker-maschuy"
(<Klackermaschü>), as ook "slakker-maschuy" (<Slackermaschü>), beduydt
_Schlagsahne_, un wen wy dat maal up 'n spijoyksche aard un wys' seggen
wult, den bruukt wy dat in d'n sin vun "(klakker-)matsch".  An de Water-Kant
snakt wy ja 'n lüt beten gedygener un studeyrter, so richtig mit
bregen-törns un schislawengs.  Daar kaamt us stakkels sipschup in de Valens
meyrstdeyls nich mit.

Well, that's easy for you to say, being an "Angriphalian" (Angrian
Eastphalian). But you won't hear silly talk like that along the coast.  Oh,
nein, Madame!  We call mud _matsch, _klakker-matsch_ (<Klackermatsch>), or
you might say _mud_ (<Mudd> ~ <Mutt>), _modder_ ~ _mudder_, _morats_
(<Moratz>) ~ _morass_ or _slubber_, depending on the quality of the stuff
(and we do know a thing or two about it).  _Klakker-maschuy_
(<Klackermaschü>), like _slakker-maschuy_ (<Slackermaschü>), denotes
'whipped cream', and when we want to be cute (which we usually do) we might
use it for "mud".  Of course, that's because we coastal speakers have a
definite way with words, oftentimes leaving our poor relations in the
Phalias dumbfounded.

Kumpelmenten
(back in Seattle, not worse for wear despite a bumpy flight),