LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.22 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 23 01:22:21 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

22 December 2005 * Volume 09

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2005.12.22 (03) [E]

> From: Global Moose Translations

> Who is feeling threatened here? Just you, obviously.
> Try "bothered" on my
> part, by the utterly unesthetic look of what I am
> supposed to accept as "my"
> language. I know that orthographies change, but that
> is usually a gradual,
> logical process over centuries (rest assured, even I
> no longer write
> Luther's German), and developed by those to whom the
> language "belongs", not
> the baby of an avid professional  linguist who, for
> whatever reasons, thinks
> that he ought to change the look and feel that
> native speakers love to yet
> another soulless , "logical" construction. >
Gabriele Kahn
===========================

Hello,

Sorry to blow my trumpet in this passionate
discussion.
But the 'orthographical love' of the natives is THE
thing if an orthography will work.
I remind of quite a lot of 'usa-indian orthographies'
in the 19th century that were worked out very well,
but just didn't work because of the native-loveliness
origins.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan