LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.09 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 9 18:55:42 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.FEB.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From:  Gavin Falconer <Gavin.Falconer at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.09 (02) [E]

Mark wrote:

"That got me to thinking about how our training material would sound if it
were written in Germanic side of our tongue.  It seems like it would have a
weird sound, but would be fully understandable."

Attempts to do just that occur not infrequently among writers of Scots.  A
good, and not entirely implausible, example is Hately Waddell's translation
of the Psalms, available at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/scotsleid/wabring/goring.php?action=next&id=2.
For English 'judge' he used "righter", no doubt based on the German.

Often those who try to avoid Latinisms end up writing gibberish, however, as
some modern "Ullans" writing shows.
--
All the best,

Gavin