LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.09 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 9 21:51:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.FEB.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From:  Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.09

God Daeg, Laagelennere!

Once more into the breach, even if I bear scant weapon. I shall draw my
trusted
ensi cru aeran (can anyone guess the language? Clue: think back very far in
time);

Small disagreement with Ron Hahn. I don't believe that "artist" in a purely
Germanic English tongue would have rendered it "wright". The latter was used
foremost for craftsmen who made utility items such as wheels and ships. No
doubt many were both skilled and creative, but crafts they were. Instead, I
believe the "art" category would have used Ablaut variations of "kunnen",
"Kunde" "Kunst" and other close family members.

Modern English still has "cunning" from that root. Where I grew up, a task
at which I failed utterly, up just about any holler you heard a nearly pure
Saxon spoken. A holdover from William the Conqueror's halcyon days, Saxon
was the language of the peasantry, the bumpkin, the lower classes.

So it remains. "Go git that ther shovel an dig me a hole 'bout three foot
deep".

In a low Germanic English, Ron Hahn the artist would perhaps be a
"cunninglinguist".

Good job, y'all, on the Lord's Prayer. I still think that "temptation" would
have come out more like the Gothic "fraistubni" (related to the Norse/modern
Swedish "fraestelse").

As to the concept of "name", both right and wrong: It stems from PIE
(proto-into-european),thus occurs in Latin, Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, and
Baltic descendant tongues.
It may have been similar in Nostratic. More distantly related to "soul", or
"ama", "anm",
"atem" "anima", and many other next of kin words.

Jah aflet skulans meinaim af filuwaurdeis!

Arthur