LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.09 (07) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 10 01:28:31 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.FEB.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Lexicon" [E]

> From:  Gavin Falconer <Gavin.Falconer at gmx.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2005.02.09 (02) [E]
>
> Attempts to do just that occur not infrequently among writers of Scots.  A
> good, and not entirely implausible, example is Hately Waddell's
translation
> of the Psalms, available at
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/scotsleid/wabring/goring.php?action=next&id=2.
> For English 'judge' he used "righter", no doubt based on the German.

This link didn't work for me - I don't even know what it is but it somehow
redirects to my site!

Waddell's Psalms are actually at:

http://scotstext.org/makars/p_hately_waddell/

> From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Lexicon
>
> Here are a few Germanic-based Scots words that have latinate English
> equivalents:
>
> owerset (translate)

A made-up Lallanism, I think. in Scots I think "pitten ower" (put over) is
the most natural way to say "translated".

> leid (language)

This was confined to Orkney but is now popular as a Lallanism.

> pee-the-bed (dandelion)

Or "pish-the-bed"  :)

> grozet (gooseberry)?

I don't think you need to question this - "grozet" /'groz@?/ is well known,
at least in my area, for a gooseberry.

> (By the way, I wonder if Scots _mutch_ 'woman's cap' is related to German
> _Mtze_, Low Saxon _m ts_, Dutch _muts_.)

East Lothian bondagers up until the early 20th century used to wear a sort
of mutch but with the rim so extended like a funnel that their faces were
hidden deep within. These bonnets were called "uglies". According to the
Scottish National Dictionary, they were so called because they were
unattractive to look at.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/