LL-L "Etymology" 2005.02.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Feb 12 21:46:03 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.FEB.2005 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Dutch Matters <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: etymology? and meaning

Hi Lowlanders, The Dutch word for cardboard box is “de doos”. My
etymological dictionary tells me that it came about as a container for a
dose of medicine. My gut tells me that a more logical explanation would be
as container for a dozen items. Does anybody have any ideas about that?

Can anybody tell me what was the origin of the counting system with base 12.
English money used to be base twelve. The “Huns” were named after family
groupings of 10 x 12. It must be old, otherwise we would not have 12
disciples.

Totally unrelated, but for you Saxon speakers: Do I remember right that a
“kadolstermannetjen” is a “winterkoninkje?

And last but not least: Does anybody know from which language the following
expression was taken?
“Smiet ie daal” (Dutch ortography) It means something like “take a load
 off”………

Thanks for the help. Jacqueline BdJ [Bungenberg de Jong]

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.02.11

Mainei liobothon dalalandarjes!

Heather, Ron and others have discussed origins of "Schachtel" , related to
"Satchel" and in so doing, they have opened Pandora's little treasure box of
lowlands Germanic history.

As Heather pointed out, her research led her to Italian, hence "scatola"
nowadays, and a German "Schattulle" that seldom appears in modern times,
although it thrived in the Aufklaerung, or Enlightenment.

She --or youall-- is on the button with the Gothic. In Wulfila's Gothic text
of the first 4 books of the New Testament (Codex Argenteus), "skatts"
appears as a word for coin or money, even as specific currency (Denarii),
e.g., "thri hund skatte".

The Gothic diminutive was "Skattula", meaning little treasure container.
Modern cognates include German "Schatz", and both Lowlands and Northern
Germanic all use variants, mostly to denote tax and treasuries. In English,
we still have "scot-free" from the Nieuw Amsterdam (recently changed to New
York, I hear) expression for "tax-free".

I am working on a Gothic (more Ostro- than Visi-) reconstruction of your
wren tale as fast as I and my severely limited abilities can. I will
sheepishly slip it under the door of some of you out there in Lowland, as
well as some specific Gothic experts, in an attempt to do something
amazingly thorough yet quite irrelevant. But fun.

Aflet mei maineim skuldan af filuwauhrdeis
(forgive me my sin of wordiness).

Arthur