LL-L "Names" 2005.01.30 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 30 20:29:14 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi all

Quick question that's very probably off topic. I promised a friend of mine a
while back to ask if
anyone had an idea what her surname could mean. The name is 'Spieweg'
(pronounced Shpeeveck for English speakers). I have a hunch that it's
probably a Germanised Slavic name, but if anyone else has any ideas I and
she would be grateful.

Gary

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi, Gary!

I've come across the surname Spieweg a few times and have always associated
it with "the East."  In fact, a web search just now seemed to confirm that
the name occurs predominantly in Eastern Germany.  This may add weight to
your supposition that it is of Slavonic origin.

In actual fact, there is the fairly common Polish-derived surname Spiewek
(probably from or Śpiewek ["s'pjEvEk], related to Standard Polish _śpiewak_
'singer' < _śpiew_ [s'pjEf] 'song'?; cf. Lower Sorbian _spiw_ > _spiwaŕ_,
Upper Sorbian _spěw_ > _spěwar_, Czech _zpěv_ > _zpěvák_, Slovak _zpev_ >
_zpevák_).

Possibly a lead?

What are the Kashubian equivalents, folks?