LL-L "Resources" 2005.01.30 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 30 20:34:36 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hey, folks!

Talking about Kashubian (under "Names" today), I came across the following
abstract and am wondering if anyone can get hold of and share with me/us a
copy of the actual work.

***
Hania Toby
The Low German Influence on Kashubian Dialects
Kashubian, which is spoken today in the northern part of Poland, is the last
remnant of the Lechitic Pomeranian dialects. Due to Germanisation, the
Kashubian speech area suffered linguistic losses resulting in language death
of the western Kashubian (Pomeranian) periphery. The surviving Kashubian
dialects, until 1945 in direct language contact with Low German speaking
settlers, were subject to strong linguistic influence. In my presentation I
will present the scope and methodology of my research, which is devoted to a
detailed diachronic investigation of one geographically and dialectal
defined area in North Kashubia in terms of different levels of interference.
These levels will be phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics and
lexicon. Examples of these levels of interference will be given as well as a
case study on one aspect of grammatical interference. The latter involves
the use of the numeral 'one' in the function of the indefinite article.

***