LL-L "Literature" 2005.01.30 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 30 21:01:04 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From:  "Marsha Alley" <marshaalley at msn.com>
Subject:  Holocaust poem

Guten tag...

Ron, I can't find the message again that had your poetry, but I did want to
say that as I listened to all the observations this week, none moved me as
did yours.  It is beautiful writing in any language.  If it doesn't
embarrass you, I'd like this accolade to appear on-list, as I think you
deserve it.

Marsha Alley
/in remembrance of my old friend Ivan, who escaped physically, but never
emotionally

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Hello, Marsha!

> Ron, I can't find the message again that had your poetry,

You can find it in the archive:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0501D&L=lowlands-l&P=R2313
(Make sure you switch the encoding under "View" to "Unicode.")

Thank you so much for your words of appreciation!  Last week was a difficult
week for me on account of the anniversaries, in part because I have quite a
few friends and acquaintances who have lived through the horrors and/or lost
loved ones, and have been affected much like your friend has.  It is also
hard for Germans, especially those who grew up during and soon after the
war, because this has been a very deep shadow on our lives (though not all
would admit it).

A related Low Saxon poem of mine, entitled _Handdook_ ("Towel") will appear
in this year's issue of _Soltauer Schriften_.  It was written for a friend
who lives in New York, and a copy of it is being kept at the Jewish Museum
in Berlin.  Before actual publication I will prepare it as an "internal"
online language corpus for my friends (which includes you and everyone else
on Lowlands), namely with "pop-up" glosses.  Unfortunately, it does not lend
itself to being translated, because it contains interspersed children's
rhymes that are known to most Germans, though I have twisted the words,
sometimes in a macabre fashion -- hopefully inducing in the reader the
perception of hearing distorted children's choruses in the background.

Thank you again, Marsha!