LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 18 15:06:28 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUL.2005 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Etymology" [E]

> From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.17 (03) [E/LS]
>
> Heather, I totally agree with your delight with the aptness of many of the
> Tok Pisin words. In my dotage, I find myself sometimes coming up with
> similar sayings if I cannot find a word immediately.

I take it that this is something a native speaker of Tok Pisin doesn't
notice?

Are there children who go to school as monolingual speakers of Tok Pisin and
find English quaint and delightful?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.17 (03) [E/LS]

"I assume that the suffix _-im_ comes from "him."

Regards,
Reinhard/Ron"

Probably, but the point about Tok Pisin is that it adopted/adapted English
to fit existing grammar  structures. "-im" is termed a Predicate Marker, and
it occurs in many languages thoughout Melanesia.  A verb without a predicate
marker would sound wrong.

Another common Melanesian feature is inclusive versus exclusive "we".  In
English, or German, or most IE languages, a statement like "we are going
now, nun gehen wir" doesn't make it clear whether the person being spoken to
is included in "we".  In Tok Pisin, and Motu, it is.  "Mipela", and "ita"
mean we - you're not included.  If the person spoken to is included the
words are "yumipela" and "ai".  A single "we" sounds weird to many Pacific
islanders so when Pidjin was evolving they had to invent two words.

Paul