LL-L "Names" 2005.07.18 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 19 00:16:42 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUL.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Names" [E]

> From: Leslie Decker <leslie at volny.cz>
> Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.07.18 (04) [E]
>
> I second what Mike said--I've only ever heard that in England (not even
> sure about the rest of the UK).  I share his interest in people's
> theories on the origin, though.  I had also wondered about the r-z
> alternation, and thought it might have something to do with the
> was-were, lose-forlorn, etc., phenomenon.

This doesn't happen in Scotland, as far as I know. Presumably with the "r"
being clearly pronounced there, neither Scots nor Scottish English lends
itself to this transformation.

"Soz" is now common as an abbreviated form of "sorry" in SMS messages. I
don't know how many English people actually use this in speech and how many
have merely picked it up through SMS.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Place names" [E]

A few weeks ago I was in a club in Southampton where someone explained to me
that he'd just got married the day before and his wife was in Canada. I
tried to ask for an explanation, but the conversation got confusing and I
gave up.

The next day I was driving home and near the Hampshire-Wiltshire border I
spotted a sign pointing to a village called "Canada" and all became clear!

This also reminded me of a village I've driven through near Bath, Somerset,
England, called "Pensylvania".

I know there are always a lot of "old country" names in former colonies, and
the reasons seem obvious, but how common is it for "New World" names to be
found in the "Old World"?

How do villages in England come to have names like "Canada" and
"Pensylvania"?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/