LL-L "Names" 2005.07.28 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 20:56:53 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.07.28 (06) [E]

I asked:
> > This reminds me: my oldest daughter's name is Marleen. Her best friend
is
> > Chinese; she always calls her "Ma-lin", and says it has a meaning in
> > Chinese, but won't say what. Can anyone enlighten us?

Ron answered:
> I have no idea.  Anyone else?  If it's naughty, it may be something about
> "trouble," "cursing" or "mother." If she speaks a southern Mandarin
dialect
> that renders _-ng_ as _-n_ she may be thinking of 馬鈴(薯) _maling(shu)_
> ("horse bell (tuber)") 'potato'.  Who knows what's going on in that
child's
> head?

Well, we are still confused, but on a higher level.

She's from Beijing, and she's actually not a child, but well into her
twenties, if that helps at all.

Gabriele Kahn

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Gabriele,

It's probably some sort of naughty slang word I'm not aware of.  Or it's
something like 馬蹸 _ma lin_ 'horse trample'.

Search me!