LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.28 (10) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 20:58:41 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2005 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.28 (02) [E]

Hi, Elsie,

you wrote:

> Traditionally, Afrikaners also make a dried fruit soupy dish (aptly called
> Dro?vrugte) with peaches, apricots, pitted plums, pears, apples and
> raisins,
> slowly cooked in a little water and sugar and sometimes thickened with
> some
> custard powder. This is eaten with the main meal and goes well with a
> garlic-stuffed leg of lamb or a pork roast and superb with venison such as
> springbok or rooibok.

I don't know the LS-word, but in Northern G it's just called 'Backobst (mit
Speck)'. As you see, we ate it as a main meal too (and hot, of course).
Today people don't cook it very often, because it's a very 'powerful' food.

Something similar is 'Bohnen, Birnen und Speck': green beans, sweet pears
('sugar pears') and smoked bacon cooked in one pot with some pieces of
potatoes, as I remeber. After boiled ready the bacon and the pears will be
served on a separate plate; everyone can cut his portion and mix it with the
soup according to his own gusto.

Gouden Honger!

Greutens

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.25 (11) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

> You know what Ron, I'll swap you my other Grandmothers Plum Cake,
> which is on a short crust for yours on the yeast crust.<

Would you two stop tantalising our taste buds and get these recipes up on
the List prontissimo .....please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially as I have 5 plum trees with branches breaking under the weight
of this year's crop, that I aim to pick over the next two weeks.
I will have friends coming round to carry away as many as they want - to
give them new recipes would be a great addition!

We might even experiment beforehand and have them ready for their tea.

Here comes my recipe for starters:

Plum tarts

1 patty pan ( bun tray)
short crust or puff pastry
a mixture of equal amounts of caster sugar and plain flour
plums , stoned and halved
one biscuit cutter

Roll out the pastry and cut with biscuit cutter into rounds.
Fill the patty pan dishes with the pastry rounds to make the tart bases
place a teaspoon of the sugar/flour mixture at the bottom of each pastry
base place a half plum face down on the mixture i.e. skin side up. If plums
are
small two halves ( or plums to fit!)

bake in a moderate oven for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is brown and the
plums bubbling in the sugary syrup mix.

Cool on a wire tray and try to keep your fingers off them  until cold

Delicious!

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Hey, Jonny, me mate!

> I don't know the LS-word, but in Northern G it's just called 'Backobst
> (mit
> Speck)'.

_Bakmous mit spek_ (<Backmoos mit Speck>), I guess.

> As you see, we ate it as a main meal too (and hot, of course).

But isn't that a different creature?  We were talking about a soup.

> Something similar is 'Bohnen, Birnen und Speck': green beans, sweet pears
> ('sugar pears') and smoked bacon cooked in one pot with some pieces of
> potatoes, as I remeber. After boiled ready the bacon and the pears will be
> served on a separate plate; everyone can cut his portion and mix it with
> the
> soup according to his own gusto.

Myn Tant Clara's recipe of that:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/kramer/bohnen.htm

It's one of the North German classics.

Hey, Heather!

Thanks for the nice recipe!

> Would you two stop tantalising our taste buds and get these recipes up on
> the List prontissimo .....please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh-oh!  I guess we've created a monster, Jacqueline ...

Well, I can't find my recipe book right now.  But here's the next best
thing: a recipe (in English!) that is very similar to mine:

http://www.myhouseandgarden.com/recipes/Pflaumenkuchen.htm

Some people make a special vanilly-custardy layer before they put the plums
on top.  I usually don't.

Now, Heather, here's the rub.  Don't use really ripe, sweet plums.  Ideally
you would use sour plums (_Zwetschgen_).  I usually can't get those here, so
I use less ripe, firm ones of those small blue plums that are called
"Italian plums/prunes" in the States.  You can use any sourish kind,
including unripe ones, as long as they are not overly juicy.

Another thing, the extra touch handed down in my family: a very light
sprinkling of cinnamon before baking.

By the way, I could imagine it with Devonshire cream in place of whipped
cream.

Mind if we all show up for a picnic on the lawn?

Hau rin!