LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.28 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 23:58:16 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.07.28 (08) [D/E/LS/German]

Ron wrote:
> > _Alle_ ("all") in the sense of "finished," "gone" or "empty" is one of
> > the first words a North German child learns, or used to learn.  You
> > show the little one the empty cup or plate after drinking or eating
> > and say _Alle!_ until the child learns to say it.  I take it this is
> > northern-specific.  Or am I wrong?

Actually, this is not "northern-specific, but used all over Germany. One
famous example is the Hessian saying: "San de Weck weg? San se all all? Wer
war'n do do?". Also, Pflaumenkuchen is not a northern specialty - just ask
the Bavarians for how long they have been baking their "Zwetschgendatschi",
which is the exact same thing. Something tells me you haven't spent much
time in the more southern regions of the country... or if you did, it was
many years ago... not everything you remember from "home" is necessarily
"Lowlandic"! ;-)

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2005.07.28 (10) [E/LS]

Reinhardus, amicus mei,
quo scribetum?

> _Bakmous mit spek_ (<Backmoos mit Speck>), I guess. ...
> But isn't that a different creature?  We were talking about a soup.
And so do I. 'Backobst ...' is a soup! I'm really unable to follow the
thread at the moment- maybe I'm lacking of a certain mail, by my own fault
or by any technical failure? I can't remember to have written about any
'Backmous', because (easy to explain) I don't know it at all!

Very best grötjes an special regards/salve

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Jonny (baven):

> 'Backobst ...' is a soup!

You're kidding me!  Where *I* come from (and I mean this in every sense),
_Backobst_ means "dried fruit."  _Backobst_ was what my mother put *into*
that soup (_warme Suppe_?)

Dialect difference or more power to Gabriele's cause?

Maybe we *are* talking about the same dish then.

_Bakmous_ (<Backmoos>) can also mean "stuff," "belongings," a bit like
German _sieben Sachen_.

> I'm lacking of a certain mail,

You can always check the archives:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html