LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.28 (12) [E/LS/Missingsch]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 28 23:58:18 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2005 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.07.28 (07) [E]

Karl-Heinz wrote.
> People from the North especially from what I think is Eastphalia for
example
> Hannover often proudly say: "Wir kommen aus einem dialektfreien Gebiet,
bei
> uns spricht man das beste Hochdeutsch." Could be, but its an illusion to
> believe a standard language can be free of dialect/sociolect etc. For me
> this would be a "Konservendeutsch", German out of a tin.

Yes, our family barber (in Southern Lower Saxony, west of Göttingen) told me
only last week that he thinks people in our region speak the purest High
German - in a local accent you could cut with a knife! I told him that,
since I moved away and came back, I had realised just how much of a local
idiom people here speak (I hail from this area myself), and I had a hard
time making him believe me. For one thing, I really have to learn again not
too say "Guten Tag" around here, lest I want to sound all snooty and
distant - it's "Guntach!"

But then, I suppose that even Americans who buy "groashries" (that Luke was
me, Ben!) live with the fond illusion that they are speaking purest standard
English...

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Are you aware that in both examples, <s> is pronounced like <sh> because a
<y> sound is following it?
In my Dutch ears, Elvis' <Yes you are> "yeS-You" is already pronounced
as "yeshou", and your <ASU> "ay eS-You" as "ay eshou".
In Dutch, where we spell <j> for English <y>, the normal way to write the
spelled "shocka" in English, <doosje> ["douS@] little box, would be
E "doasha", and <hoe was jouw dag op school?> [hu "vaS@ dax Op sxo:l], how
was your day in school, as "who voshow dokh up skhoal" or so.

Ingmar

----------

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>

Hi Ron, Hi Ingmar!

Ingmar, thank you for your thorough explanation of the g-j palatalization in
Netherlandic. About this ingvaeonic aspect: "yesterday" must be "jester(e)n"
in Brandenburgish, "yellow" "jelb" or even "jelw". Another example: English
"yield" etymologically matches dutch/german Geld. Found:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=yield : Etymology:
Middle English, from Old English gieldan; akin to Old High German geltan to
pay

Ron, thank you for your affirming my comments on what I wrote about syntax
and melody in Missingsch.

About Missingsch today: Do you you think that the comedy-series "Dittsche -
das wirklich wahre Leben" is in Missingsch dialect?
http://www.ard.de/boulevard/comedy-satire/oli-dittrich-dittsche/-/id=7702/nid=7702/did=279166/10jtt5c/

I've found a written example:

Dittsche: "Ingo, weissu eigentlich, was die Queen in das goldene Buch der
Stadt oingetragn hat?"
Ingo:       "Nee, keine Ahnung.
Dittsche: "Ich vermude was, ich sach dir das."
Ingo:       "Ja, was hat sie denn nu da eingetragen?"
Dittsche:  "Mein Mann schlächt mich, bidde helfen Sie mia!"
Dittsche:  "Das sach ich dir, das hat sie da roingeschrieben. Der Philipp is
ja auch 'n reines Rauhbein, ein reiiiiiiiines Rauhbein, ich sach dir das!"