LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.07.29 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 29 15:00:16 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: David Winterburn <david.winterburn at steinmuller.co.za>
Subject: Afrikaans Newspapers

Hi Lowlanders,

I was recently doing some repair work on a breakdown at a cement factory up
in the North West Province of South Africa in a place called
Lichtenburg.(300kms West of Johannesburg) The building industry is going
crazy in this country so there is a big demand for cement and breakdowns are
pressure all round.

Lichtenburg is cement country with 3 major factories. It is also close to
Mafekeng where the British were besieged for some months by the Boer army
about 100 years ago.

Anyway I was reading "Die Noordwester" the local newspaper and I read
complaints from the locals who are complaining about the construction
companies bringing in artisans and other labour from the province of Gauteng
and their local Artisans who they consider equally as good are losing out.

My company was mentioned in the newspaper so I undertook to submit the
newspaper cutting to my management together with a translation as some of
them are German and African and don't understand Afrikaans.

The translation was easy enough until I got to one sentence which stated
"Het jul dan nie al die jare reeds wat as jul hul nodig gehad het, dit bewys
nie?"

My direct translation was " Have you then not all the years already what as
you their needed have had, it proves not?"

I couldn't make sense out of this line and was stumped and so I called in my
Afrikaner colleagues to assist.It turned out it meant " Has this not been
proven over all the years whenever you needed us?"

Dave Winterburn