LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.06.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jun 11 20:19:06 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.06.10 (07) [E]

(Sorry, don't remember who wrote this)
> >What about German "totmuede"?
>
> Doodmoe in Dutch. Identical formation: doodziek

It's "todmüde", not "totmüde", meaning "so tired one could die". But there
are others:

"todschick" - drop-dead elegant
"todsicher" - absolutely certainly
"todernst" - dead serious
"todtraurig" - as sad as sad can be
"todunglücklich" - profoundly unhappy

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2005.05.10 (05) [E]

Mike Szelog wrote:
"Here in New England we use "wicked" for the same thing as your "dead" -
more or less an intensifyer and can have both positive and negative
conotations depending on how it's used. The interesting thing is that with
"wicked", oftentimes the word intensified is omitted - "That storm we had
last night was some wicked (bad,strong, etc.)!" or "Did you see that?!"
"Yeah, that was wicked (cool, interesting, etc.)!" Can you do this with the
Nottingham English "dead"?"

We can't. "Dead" is used only as an adjective, in place of "very" and
"really". (Cornish English makes great use of "some" in the same manner as
New England English quoted above, basically as a replacement for "very" and
"really". I think this is also a feature of the Englishes of South West
England.)

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed your telling of The Wren.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.