LL-L "Language use" 2005.06.13 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jun 13 16:39:07 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUN.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2005.06.12 (06) [E]

>Spanish speakers speak Spanish among themselves? There doesn't seem
>be anything odd about that. Certainly most of the expats from
>Canada,
>the States, or Britain that I've known of speak English among
>themselves in the countries they're living in. It's pretty normal
>for
>people who are close to each other to use the language they know
>best.
>And if there are enough Spanish speakers in Northern Manhattan to
>make
>up a majority or a large minority, it also seems fairly normal that
>English wouldn't be popular. I've always thought that language
>diversity is a good thing, and if you have to learn one or two
>phrases
>to get around in certain areas, it's not going to kill you.
>
>-Ian Pollock

But many people I know here who speak (for our age ;)) quite good dialect,
and who speak it at home too (so it should be their real mothertongue) still
speak some regiolect among eachother... Even if they know they both speak
dialect as well!
(probably due to the anti-dialect indoctrination in schools...?)

I know you cannot completely compare this to the Spanish example but still
it bothers me :p

Diederik Masure