LL-L "Administrativia" 2005.06.26 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jun 26 22:19:58 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUN.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Folks,

Apparently a whole bunch of you in Germany has not been getting any mail
from us lately, and at least one of you is reading our postings in the
archive (and he gets my individual mailings just fine).

I am sending a blind courtesy copy to each of you who has the country
extension ".de" in their address.  If you receive that copy plus the same
thing via the LL-L server, you'll know that you are not one of the affected
people.

I don't know what the reason for the problem is, but I suspect that it is
something outside our control.  It is possible that there is some problem
with email relay that is specific to your area.  It is also possible that
your providers use filters (shared or otherwise) that destroy mail from our
server as junk mail.  Please do me a favor and check with your providers.

Please rest assured that I checked and found all of you still subscribed.

There is a slight possibility that there is a connection with the recent
server program change, which why I am copying our technical advisers on
this.

I wrote earlier today:

> A few times lately people wondered why their posting submissions did not
> appear.

> There are two possibilies for the supposed disappearances:

> (1) The submissions got lost because of recent server remodeling.

> (2) Your submissions were not clearly marked, and I erased them by mistake
> with acres of junk, even though I try to be very careful about it.

There are two more possibilities:

(3) For some reason, the Lowlands-L address ended up in your junk filter or
gets blocked as SPAM because the server sends the editions as mass mailings.

So, if you find yourself cut off, please do me a favor and check for this
and correct it if necessary.

(4) Because of problems at your end, mailings from Lowlands-L do not get
through to you, bounce back, and the server unsubscribes you under so many
attempts and bounces.

Please also bear in mind -- and I can't say this often enough -- that I
would never unsubscribe anyone against their will unless this is preceded by
warnings and the like.  (This has happened only once in a blue moon in our
ten years.)  Some people apparently slinked away when that happened, and
later I found out that they assumed I had kicked them off because they had
not participated.  I would do no such thing.  Being a "lurker" is compelte
within your right.

Folks, sorry about the two pieces of junk mail that got through on Friday
due to my lack of familiarity with the new system, and thanks for not making
a big deal about it.

Yours,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L