LL-L "Intelligibility" 2005.03.02 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 2 23:10:22 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAR.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From:  speegled at slu.edu <speegled at slu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Intelligibility" 2005.03.02 (05) [E]

> For Dutch speakers, German is quite easy to understand (without any study)
> but the other way around I don't know so sure.

When my wife and I were in Belgium and The Netherlands, we could
understand the Dutch and Flemish that was spoken, but they had a hard time
understanding our Afrikaans.  We realized later that if we told them we
were speaking Afrikaans and that we suspected they should be able to
understand it, then they could understand it.

Darrin [Speegle]