LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.03.10 (06) [E/Middelsprake]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 10 17:34:36 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: James Campbell <james at zolid.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Reinhard wrote:

> If you can't find the word for 'wren' you could always either substitute
> it
> (e.g.,  'sparrow') or reconstruct one on the basis of Old English
> _wrenna_,
> _wrenne_, Old Saxon _wrendilo_ and Old German (_kuning_, _kuningil_,
> _kuningilîn_, _kuningilo_, _kuningilîhîn_,) _rentilo_, _rento_ (Modern
> Icelandic _rindill_ < Old Norse *_(v)rindill_?).
>
> The Germanic reconstructions are *_wrandjô_, *_wrandja_ and *_wrandjan_.

I'm researching in preparation for a wren translation, and I'm wondering
about Frisian names for our little avian friend.

The standard Westerlauwer word appears to be _winterkeninkje_, but to me
this seems like a loan-translation from Dutch. Surely there must be some
gorgeous dialectal names for the wren in the Frisian lands?

BTW, when I found out that the French name is _troglodyte_ I nearly
swallowed my dentures.

James

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
James Campbell
james at zolid.com  www.zolid.com
Boring, but a cool boring.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: Anniversary

Ig ha endlig skrived miin personlig introduktions for Lowlands-L's 10-jare
jubileum in Nederlandisch, Engelisch on in Middelsprake, on ig ha sended al
tre an Reinhard. Ig hope dat de nü website schal wese en gröt sukses! For
mi det ware okso en good mögligheid to late lerne kenne ander folk miin
künstlig Intergermanisch Middelsprake. Ig wil bue en site af mi self later
dis jaar, doch nu ig kan det ennoch nik, ig mot först do en kurs for dat.
Ja, wiil ig is nik so fantastisch mid computers likas mennig af ju, ig mot
lerne dat up en simpel manere;-) Waneer ig ha miin site, ig schal okso
skrive miin dichte on miin andre künstlig sprakes up det.
             Mid de hertlig gröte af Ingmar Roerdinkholder

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hello, Lowlanders!

Thanks for all the anniversary project submissions, both translations and
introductions.  I'm very happy with your efforts.  I wish I could say "I
couldn't be happier," but I actually *could* be happier.  As the little
Häwelmann said in the story, "More, more!"  :-)

Here's also a reminder to those who promised pictures and haven't come
through yet.

Mathieu is really busy at the moment, but the latest things will be posted
and nicely presented soon, as will the sound files of which Henry takes
care.

P.S.: James, I have come across the name _lyts tomke_ "little thumb" or just
_tomke_ "thumb" (diminutive) for 'wren' in W. Frisian.  Perhaps that helps.
Apparently references to "thumb" are not uncommon in names for this bird.