LL-L "History" 2005.05.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 17 14:38:21 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.MAY.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.05.13 (08) [E]

> Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
>
>Not to mention the Suevi at Swaffham, and possibly Swavesey, in
>Cambridgeshire.

I had half-started to write a reply to the original question, which
included warning about using ethnicity, including mentioning the good
folk of Swaffham!

I don't think anyone's mentioned either of the other two points I had in
mind:
first, Christianity gained its first foothold in Anglo-Saxon England (as
opposed to any other area which has lain on this land) in Kent.  I think
(and my knowledge is probably mis-remembered, and certainly twenty years
out of date) that Kent then, as now, was aspirental-continental;
clothing, marriages, alcohol all had, for choice, a flavour of the
south.  In contrast to Kent, the kingdom most opposed to the idea of
conversion was Mercia, then, as now, most isolated from continental or
Irish culture.

Second, I really do think St. Augustine deserves some credit for the
effectiveness of the conversion.  Perhaps I've been doing too much
reading about leadership (I blame the Department for Culture, Media and
Sport who think that we need a St. Augustine).

Best wishes to all,

Pat
(who is just back from Schwerin, which I do recommend as a most elegant
town)
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)