LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.26 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 26 19:07:34 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAY.2005 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at cfgcustomers.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.26 (01) [E]

Hello all,

Thomas wrote in part:

> From: Thomas Byro <greenherring at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.25 (06) [E/LS]
>
> Re Yiddish;
>
> There is a sizable community here in New York where Yiddish still
> thrives as a daily language and that is among the Orthodox Jews.  By
> sizable I mean for example Borough Park in Brooklyn where there are
> several hundred thousand Orthodox Jews.  I can attest from personal
> observation that it is the language of choice even in the home for
> these people.

I gotta tell you, I just recently got back from a short vacation in Niagara
Falls and because it was close to Passover, there were a lot of Jewish
people there, mainly from the New York, New Jersey area and I have never in
my life heard so much Yiddish spoken!! From the very young to the very old.
A few people were speaking in Hebrew, but Yiddish was *the* language of
choice.

Also when taking day trips up to the northern part of my home state (New
Hampshire), particularly in the fall during the peak season of fall foliage,
I have come across many groups of Jewish people, again, I'm assuming from
the NY/NJ area. Again, Yiddish was the language of choice!

I was always under the assumption that Yiddish was "on its way out" as it
were, and virtually unknown by the younger generation, but hearing so much
of the language spoken over the years by people of all ages has really got
me wondering if it's (Yiddish) enjoying some sort of revival?

Mike S
Manchester, NH - USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Mike!

> I was always under the assumption that Yiddish was "on its way out" as it
> were, and virtually unknown by the younger generation, but hearing so much
> of the language spoken over the years by people of all ages has really got
> me wondering if it's (Yiddish) enjoying some sort of revival?

I've been wondering the same thing, and snippets of information I have been
getting from a couple of Yiddish American contacts seem to be pointing in
the direction of renewed interest.  There has been a fair bit of demand for
Yiddish courses and some excellent courses being offered in various parts of
the country, also some good material being produced.

I'm also wondering if Yiddish speakers are coming out of the woodwork now
that there seems to be a more favorable climate, in other words, that the
previous estimates were too low because there was unreported Yiddish
language use.  I personally know a couple of people that grew up speaking
Yiddish but then put it aside.  It would be easy for them if they decided to
get back into it, much as in the case of Low Saxon speakers that rejected
the language after childhood and later in life decide to take it up again.

Finally, I'm wondering if the fall of the Iron Curtain may have anything to
do with it.  Apparently, Yiddish was used much more widely in the Soviet
Union than was officially the case.  I was amazed to find out that, when the
first waves of Soviet immigrants reached Israel, in a group of all young
people (not only from Russia and Ukraine but also from Georgia, Kazakhstan
and Uzbekistan) I had contacts with about one third could communicated in
Yiddish, even though none of them had come from what you would consider a
religious home.  I understand that in the US, too, a fair number of younger
and older "Russian" immigrants know Yiddish.  Perhaps the newfound freedom
has given Yiddish a bit of a shot in the arm in that it revealed previously
concealed language use which in turn may inspire others, i.e., "make it all
right."

Perhaps there is a lesson for subdued Lowlands languages in all of that.