LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.26 (07) [B/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 26 19:26:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAY.2005 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Þjóðríkr Þjóðreksson <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.26 (05) [E]

De wourde in verbaand mè "ois", "woeëne" koume volges maai van 'n
Indo-Uropeise wourdstam teg- (Lataain tegere (bedekke), tectum (dak)), kan
teach ni van teacht < tect- koume, gelà k de Lataainse vörm? De -g- van et IE
zaa dan -k- wörre in de Germoanse toale, dak, bedekke, ...
De IE -k- van in tek-no wört -h- of duir Verner -g-, gelà k in de oang'oalde
vuirbeilde.
(De stam mè betieëkenisse 'là k "dak", "bedekke" laaike maai mieër ouverieën
te koume as de vörme da "eld, kraaiger" wulle zegge)

***
The words related to "house", "dwelling" you mentioned would in my opinion
rather descend from an IE root teg- (Latin tegere (to cover), tectum
(roof)), isn't it possible that teacht comes from teacht < tect-, just like
the Latin form? The -g- becomes regularly -k- in Germanic, Dutch dak (roof)
and bedekken (to cover), English words like thatch(er) and many more.
(A root with meanings like "roof" and "to cover" looks, imho, more probable
than one that means "warrior", "hero")

Just my 5 cents.

Diederik Masure