LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.26 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 26 20:01:40 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAY.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at cfgcustomers.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.05.26 (08) [E]

> I understand that until a few centuries ago, the Dalmatian population
> spoke a latin based language.  Some of this is still evident in family
> names.  I met a fellow from Dalmatia named Marinovic, Marino being a
> familiar Italian family name.  I don't know when or why they became
> Croatians.
>
> Tom Byro

Yes, I can't recall the name of it (I always seem to get it mixed up with
Dolomitic Ladin - a variety of Rhaeto-Romance), but IU think you might be
able to get a specimen of it (the Pater Noster) on the Christusrex.org (?)
website. They have the Pater Noster in a wide variety of languages past,
present and constructed.

Mike S

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Be, Mark,

The language is called "Dalmatian" in English, and it is extinct now.  The
last speaker died in 1898.  It was spoken along the Adriatic coast
(Dalmatia).  It had two dialects: Vegliotian (Vegliot(to), center
Veglia/Krk) and Ragusan.  The last domain of Ragusan was in and around
Dubrovnik (Ragusa, formerly _Respublica Ragusina_).

The Romance language still spoken in Croatia, though by a tiny number of
people now, is Istriot, on the Istrian Peninsula.  It's rather closely
related to Italian.  It is by some seen as the last relic of Northern
Dalmatian.

The Dalmatian coast used to be intermittently under Venetian and Italian
power.  The Romance language(s) faded away as minority languages under
overwhelming Slavonic domination.  However, Dalmatian culture, cuisine and
music are still noticeably Romance-based.  As soon as you leave the coast
you'll find that they are more Slavonic-based.

It's a lovely, lovely area with charming people, both on the coast and in
the mountains.