LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.31 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue May 31 20:54:53 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.MAY.2005 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net Server Manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8c/userindex.html

From: "Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong" <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.05.30 (01) [E]

Tom Mc Ray asked whether Corby was of Scottish origin.
The French word for raven is le Corbeau it is also used for crow.
The English word crow is from a Germanic root. Probably mimicking the
sound crows make. Jacqueline