LL-L "Orthography" 2005.10.31 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 1 00:45:40 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 31 October 2005 * Volume 08

From: Ian Pollock <ispollock at shaw.ca>
Subject: Orthography

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> Oops!
>
> Here's a postscript, Ian et al., talking about Salishan languages.
>
>> I have no experience with these languages at all, being rather a
>> greenhorn
>
> Here you get a chance to listen to some, narrated in Lushootseed by a
> most delightful lady, Vi Hilbert
> (http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=7130):
>
> Story about Lady Louse:
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/audio/news/local/seattle_history/wav/
> lady_louse.wav
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/audio/news/local/seattle_history/mp3/
> lady_louse.mp3
>
> About Chief Seattle:
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/audio/news/local/seattle_history/wav/
> sealth.wav
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/audio/news/local/seattle_history/mp3/
> sealth.mp3
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

That was interesting, thanks!
It always amazes me how little a person taking linguistics, as I am, in
Canada (Alberta) learns about the languages in their own backyard,
namely French and the Native American languages of the area. I don't
know how it is elsewhere, but linguistics here is very English-centred.
I've been looking for a sort of guide to Native American languages,
particularly those of Canada, not so much to learn them but to give an
overview of salient points in grammar and phonology and so forth. But
it's tough to find such things. Does anyone know of anything like that?
-Ian