LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.02 (15) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 3 05:46:48 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 02 November 2005 * Volume 15

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Beste Jonny,

You wrote:

>> I'm quite sure however, that most (if not all) of
>> our
>> northern Dutch and Saxon friends will have a hard time understanding the
>> conversations (would that even apply to our _Genius-on-Duty_? *s*).
>You mean our '_relative friendly herder_'??? *s*

Mmm...my mom always told me it's not polite to point at people in
public...guess I'd better follow her advice.
Still leaves me wondering though, why my forefinger is then called my
"wijsvinger" in Dutch...*s*

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Ik gloyv' ik mut Jou junckx by lütten maal by de bückxsen krygen.  Waart
Jou, Jy krabauters!  "Of the *Day*"?!  Eckxkuysee moa?!  "*Relatively*
friendly"?!  Daar jukt wul eyn wissen Hadeler syn vel.  "Herder" maybe, but
"herder of cats" more like.

I didn't even realize people were talking about me.  Shows you how much
attention I was paying; that's how crazy it's been around me these past
couple of days.  I can't even get the dates right ...

And I've forgotten what language variety you were talking about.

Anyway, carry on!