LL-L "Language use" 2005.11.21 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 21 21:20:42 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 21 November 2005 * Volume 05

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2005.11.21 (05) [E/Spanish]

Ron speculated:  "Well, I've been assuming-possibly wrongly so-that Mark
Brooks is the literal translation of Marcos Arroyos, in other wards that our
Mark is a native Spanish speaker."

No, I'm not a native Spanish speaker.  I started learning it as a kid
though, so I've been at it for a long time.  I was about 10 or 11 when I
began learning it.  I've had native speakers tell me that I sound like a
native speaker.

Marcos Arroyos is the name that I started using when I was taking calls from
Spanish speaking unemployment claimants.  It's funny...if I answered the
phone is Spanish, but used Mark Brooks when I identified myself, they would
always say, "¿Habla español?"  If on the other hand, I answered in Spanish
and identified myself as Marcos Arroyos, they always just started talking.
So, the name indicates some sort of expectation about what language you
speak.  I picked this up from a lady that worked with me who is a native
speaker.  She married an Anglo (as we call them around here), so her last
name was misleading.  She would answer English calls with her married name,
and Spanish calls with her maiden name.

Mark Brooks

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Thanks for clearing this up, Mark.

I can relate to "code cum persona" switching.  It's kind of neat to have
multiple personae, isn't it (as opposed to multiple personalities)?