LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.22 (01) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 22 22:05:06 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 22 October 2005 * Volume 01

From: "Sandy Fleming" <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.21 (02) [E]

> From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.11.20 (05) [E]
>
> I found another one there, which I had been looking for an equivalent in
> another language for times:
>
> _stårkia'_, E: 'girl' we have in LS as 'Starke', meaning a young cow (*a
> cow-girl*) older than one year bot not pregnant.(If the same is
> pregnant we
> call it LS:'Queene'; I think its stem can be found in the IE 'gyn-'.)
>
> I don't think it to be a loan from LS, but both words I suppose to be
> from
> the same (dark?) origin.

In Scots we have "stirk" meaning a bullock or a heifer - usually a
bullock. A heifer would be a "stot", if I'm understanding these farmyard
terms correctly.

You can do a search in http://scotstext.org/ for a fair number of
examples from the literature, including the application of "stirk" to
human beings as an insult.