LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.16 (02) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 16 19:56:03 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 16 October 2005 * Volume 02

From: "burgdal32admin" <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.13 (01) [E/LS/German]

> From: "Franz Firla" <frafir at web.de>
> To: "Hahn, R.F." <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: wiem
>
> Hallo Ron, ich habe hier eine Liedversion aus Salzwedel:
>

>  Martens, Martens vögelken
>
> met dien vergülden flögelken,
>
> fleeg so wiet bet öber 'n wiem,
>
> morgen is dat Martin,
>
> ---
>
> Ich hätte gerne gewußt, was "wiem" bedeutet.
>
> Danke!
>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Franz Firla

Hi Franz and Ron,

In my Western Flemish we know the word 'wieme/wijme/wime', which
means a new soft twig from a willowtree that can be used to make a
chicken-run or  a basket...
But we use more the word 'wijdauwisse' , which in Dutch is 'twijg'.
'Wisse' and 'wieme' are synonyms.

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

----------

From: "jonny" <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2005.10.14 (08) [D/E]

Hi, all,

regarding LS 'wiemen' Roger wrote:

> ...vlechtwerk of rasterwerk van tenen...
It again reminds me to the kind old hutches were built: a *woven* basic of
willow twigs closed with clay etc..

But there is another word reminding me to 'wiemen': EFLS, as far as I still
can remember, has got _Wiemer_, meaning G: 'Ferkel', E: 'piglet'.
But I have to confess that I'm unable to find any connection here, except
the fact that wild swines use to build a nest of twigs and grass for their
youngsters. 'Wiemen' again in the transformed sense of 'bed'?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: "Hahn, R.F." <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Jonny,

Perhaps a _wymer_ (<Wiemer>) was an immature pig that could not yet be
left to run around the yard by itself and therefore needed to be confined
in an enclosure, and, going by what has been reported about _wym_
(<Wiem>), such enclosures tended to be made from willow twigs in the very
early days.

It seems as though elevation does not play as important a role in the
origin of _wym_ as does the fact that it is a woven enclosure.  So,
originally, a _wym_ seems to have been an enclosure made from willow
twigs.  The meanings "elevated contraption" (for holding food for smoking)
and "(elevated) chicken coop" seem to have developed later.  I think I
have seen the food _wyms_ before.  They look like large, flat baskets, and
they can be pulled up and down by means of strings.

In some Low Saxon dialects of Germany, _wym_ came to mean simply "chicken
coop," irrespective of shape and location.  This is how I first learned to
use it.  My interest about it was aroused by the use of _up_ ~ _op_ 'on'
instead of _in_ (_up d'n wym_ <up'n Wiem> 'in the chicken coop') and the
compount _orgel-wym_ (<Orgelwiem>) 'organ loft'.