LL-L "Traditions" 2005.10.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 26 00:06:19 UTC 2005

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

25 October 2005 * Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Tranditions

Dear Lowlanders,

Talking about the anniversary project ... It so happens that the wren is a
frequently featured bird in Irish and British traditions, not only on St.
Stephen's Day (_Lá an Dreoilín_ in Ireland, December 26).  I think these are
stronger traditions than are those on the European mainland.  Might it be
that they emanated from Insular Celtic heritage?  Of course, there's this
whole "Hunt The Wren" tradition" (not that I'll ever quite understand it).

Note, for instance, the name “Droolin” in English, obviously derived from
Scottish Gaelic _dreòlan_ or Irish _dreólán_ ~ _dreoilín_ 'wren'.

"Wren's Nest" seems to be a very popular name for Irish and British houses,
pubs, hotels, etc.; e.g., Welsh _Nyth Y Dryw_, Irish _Nead An Dreoilín_.
Furthermore, in many traditions, the equivalents of "wren" are common first
and last names, especially in Breton (_Laouenanig_).

Below are some snippets.

P.S.: The proto-Celtic form of the word for 'wren' has been posited as
*_drivolo_ < *_drivo-_, by the way, possibly connected with 'to jump/hop'.

***
English:

   The Wren Song

   The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
   St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze,
   Although he was little his honour was great,
   Jump up me lads and give him a treat.
      Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
      And give us a penny to bury the wren.

   As I was going to Killenaule,
   I met a wren upon the wall.
   I took me stick and knocked him down,
   And brought him in to Carrick Town.
      Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
      And give us a penny to bury the wren.

   Droolin, Droolin, where's your nest?
   Tis in the bush that I love best
   In the tree the holly tree,
   Where all the boys do follow me.
      Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
      And give us a penny to bury the wren.

   We followed the wren three miles or more,
   Three mile or more three miles or more.
   We followed the wren three miles or more,
   At six o'clock in the morning.
      Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
      And give us a penny to bury the wren.

   I have a little box under me arm,
   Under me arm under me arm.
   I have a little box under me arm,
   A penny or tuppence would do it no harm.
      Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
      And give us a penny to bury the wren.

***
Scots:

   The robin to the Wren's nest
   Cam keekin' in, cam keekin' in;
   O weel's me on your auld pow,
   Wad ye be in, wad ye be in?
   Thou's ne'er get leave to lie without,
   And I within, and I within,
   Sae lang's I hae an auld clout
   To rowe ye in, to rowe ye in.

           (Robert Burns)
           [I hope this isn't naughty.]

***
Scottish Gaelic
(from _Cainnt nan Eun_ "Language of the Birds")

   An dreathan-donn

   Thig, thig, thig a dhìol-deirce,
   Thig, thig, thig a ghille-bhrìghde,
   Is gillean-bhrìghde na h-eòin uile,
   Ach mise leam fhìn,
   Ach mise leam fhìn,
   Gillean-bhrìghde, gillean-bhrìghde.

***
Irish:

   An Dreoilín

   Dreoilín a fuaras-sa thíos ar an ínse,
   Fé bhráid carraige 's carabhat síod' air,
   Do thugas-sa chúibh-se é a lanú 'n tí seo
   'Gus gura seacht fearr um an dtaca so arís sibh.

   Dreoilín a thugas-sa chút-sa a Dhiarmuid,
   Ní mar dhúil i lionn ná iarsma
   Ach mar dhúil sa tsúgradh d'iarraidh
   Do bhíodh 'n ár ndúthaigh lá cinn bhliana.

   Dreoilín a thugas-sa chút-sa a Shiobhán,
   Ní mar dhúil i lionn ná 'n arán
   Ach mar dhúil sa tsúgradh ' chimeád
   Bhíodh 'nár ndúthaigh Lá 'le Stiofáin.

   Dreoilín a fuaras-sa i gcarn cloch,
   'Gus ar neoin cár bhfearr é ' fháil i dtor?
   Do chaitheas-sa mo mhaide leis is bhriseas a chos;
   Éirigh id shuí a bhean a' tí is líon chúinn deoch.

   Is muar an trua an dreoilín i mbarra 'n chnoic,
   An bháisteach sa tárr air, an síon is an sioc,
   Ag imeacht ar na bántaibh, a chosa do bhí geárrtha
   Agus bríste gan bhásta air 's is fuar é a dhriuch.

   D'imigh an dreoilín anonn thar muir,

   Ó lúib na carraige uainn de rith
   Is mó duine a' faire air ó Luan go Satharn,
   Gan ball ná baile aige ach scáth an tuir.

   Dreoilín óir an dreoilín,
   'S beidh ór i bpóca an dreoilín;
   Dreolín airgid fé bhínn fhallainge
   Agus Mac a' Bhanba an Dreoilín.

   Féachaíg 's do gheobha' sibh Dreoilín glic
   A thiocfaidh le fórsaibh aniar 's anoir.
   Cuirtear an chiúrach arís 'n ár gciúnn
   Agus ólfaimíd-na sláinte 'n tsár-fhir ghlic.

   'S beidh ór fós ag an ndreoilín,
   'S beidh ór i stór ag an ndreoilín,
   'S beidh ór ar a chóta is ór ar a bhróga
   'Gus fíon dá ól 'na sheomraí gil.

   Is árd é an dreoilín i mbarra 'n tuir.
   Is mear is is seoltha a bheidh a shliocht,
   A' dul go tigh an ósta 's an joga muar lán romhainn,
   'Gus ólfaimíd-ne sláinte 'n tsár-fhir iniubh.

***
   Manx:

   Helg Yn Dreain

   Hemmayd gys y keyll,"dooyrt Robbin y Vobbin.
   "Hemmayd gys y keyll,"dooyrt Richard y Robin.;
   "Hemmayd gys y keyll,"dooyrt Juan y Thalloo;
   "Hemmayd gys y keyll,"dooyrt ooilley unnane.
   "Cre nee mayd ayns shen ?"dooyrt, &c.*
   "Helg mayd yn dreain,
   "C"raad t"eshyn ? C"raad t"eshyn ?""
   ""Sy crouw glass ayns-shid,"
   "Ta mee fackin eshyn,
   "Cre"n aght yiow mayd sheese eh?
   "Lesh maidjyn as claghyn,
   ""T"eh marroo, t"eh marroo,"
   "Cre"n aght yiow mayd thie eh ?
   "Nee mayd cairt failley,
   "Quoi lesh Yees y cairt 2
   "Juan Illiam y Fell,
   "Quoi vees immanagh?
   "Filley"n Tweet,"
   "T"eh ec y thie,
   "Cre"n aght yiow mayd broit eh ?
   "Ayns y phann thie-imlee."
   "Cre"n aght yiow mayd ayn eh ?
   "Lesh barryn yiarn as tiedd,"
   "T"eshyn ayn, t"eshyn ayn,
   "T"eshyn broltg t"eshyn broit,
   "Cre"n aght yiow mayd magh eh ?"
   "Lesh gollage mle liauyr,"
   "T"eh goit m agh, t"eh goit magh,3"
   Quoi vees ec y yinnair
   Yn ree as ven-rein,"
   Cre"n aght yiow mayd ecit eh?"
   Lesh skinn as aall,"
   T"eh eeit, t"eh eeit,"
   "Sooillyn son ny doail,"
   I Lurgyn son ny croobee,"
   "Scrobban son ny moght,"
   "Crauyn son ny moddee,"
   "Yn dreain, yn dre~in, ree eeanllee ooilley,
   Ta shin er tayrtyn, Laa"l Steoaln, "sy connee;
   Ga t"eh beg, ta e cleinney ymmoddee,
   Ta mee guee oo, ven vie, chur bine dooin dy lu

English Translation:

   Hunt The Wren

   WE"LL away to the wood,"says Robin the Bobbin,
   "We"ll away to the wood, "says Richard the Robbin;
   "We"ll away to the wood,"says jack of the Land.
   "We"ll away to the wood,"says every one.
   "What shall we do there ? says, &c.*
   "We will hunt the wren,
   "Where is he? where is he ?"
   "In yonder green bush,
   "I see him, I see him,"
   "How shall we get him down?"
   "With sticks and stones,
   "He is dead, lie is dead,
   "How shall we get him home?
   "We"ll hire a cart,
   "Whose cart shall we hire?
   "Johnny Bill Fell"s,
   "Who will stand driver ?
   "Filley the Tweet,
   "He"s home, he"s home,
   "How shall we get him boiled ?
   "In the brewery pan,
   "How shall we get him in?
   "With iron bars and a rope,
   "He is in, he is in,
   "He is boiled, he is boiled,
   "How shall we get him out ?"
   "With a long pitchfork,
   "He is out, he is out,
   "Who will be at the dinner
   "The king and the queen,
   "How shall we get him eaten
   "With knives and forks
   "He is eat, he is eat,
   "The eyes for the blind,
   "The legs for the lame,
   "The pluck for the poor,
   "The bones for the dogs,
   "The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
   We have caught, Stephen"s Feast-day, in the furze;
   Although he is little, his family"s great,
   I pray you, good dame, do give us a drink.

***
Welsh:

   Cân Y Dryw

   Dryw bach ydy 'r gŵr,
   Amdano mae stŵr ;
   Mae cŵest arno fe
   Nos heno 'mhob lle.

   Fe ddaliwyd y gwaich
   Oedd neithiwr yn falch
   Mewn stafell wen deg,
   A'i un brawd ar ddeg.

   Fe dorrwyd i'r tŵr,
   A daliwyd y gŵr ;
   Fe 'i rhoddwyd dan len,
   Ar elor fraith wen.

   Rhubanau o bob lliw,
   Sydd o gwmpas y dryw ;
   Rhubanau 'n dri thro,
   Sydd arno 'n lle to.

   Mae 'r drywod yn scant,
   Hedasant i bant ;
   Ond deuant yn ôl
   Drwy lwybrau 'r hen ddôl.

   meistres fach fwyn
   Gwrandewch ar ein cwyn ;
   Plant ieuainc ym ni,
   Gollyngwch ni i'r tŷ ;
   Agorwch yn gloi
   'Nte dyma ni 'n ffoi.

***
   Breton:

   Beg al Laouenanig
   (Wren's Beak)

   Na piv a zisplufe beg al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe penn al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe gouzoug al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe bruched al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e vruched, e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe kein al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e gein, e vruched, e c'houzoug,
      e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe askell al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e askell, e gein, e vruched,
      e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe kof al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e gof, e askell, e gein, e
      vruched, e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   a piv a zisplufe lost al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e lost, e gof, e askell, e gein,
      e vruched, e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe kar al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e gar, e lost, e gof, e askell, e
      gein, e vruched, e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe troad al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e droad, e gar, e lost, e gof, e
      askell, e gein, e vruched, e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed

   Na piv a zisplufe ivin al laouenanig (bis)
   Ul labousig ker bihanik e ivin, e droad, e gar, e lost, e
      gof, e askell, e gein, e vruched, e c'houzoug, e penn, e veg
   Beg al laouenanig, holl a-hed-a-hed