LL-L "Language survival" 2005.09.15 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 16 01:10:05 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2005 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "In the news" 2005.09.15 (06) [E/S]

>"Europe's Lost Tribes"?<

I haven't been able to pick up the article; they are saying the page isn't
available or it's been removed.

Did anyone save it per chance?

Heather

PS  I would read "Europe's Lost Tribes" as a Headline i.e.
re-using/adapting a well known phrase or saying to make a quick and punchy
point. Rather than have a literal meaning.

"Lost Tribes" is of course a biblical reference and has a meaning of
peoples who were once close relatives and now have dispersed or gone out of
sight / no longer in touch.

So you could re-write the title as " Europe's ( lost tribes) "    with a
meaning of  the dispersed peoples of Europe  or the people we have lost
touch with - who we don;t hear about any more.

Is that so bad?