LL-L "History" 2005.09.21 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 21 23:25:02 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.SEP.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.09.21 (02) [E]

Ron wrote:
> It really is interesting to imagine what would have happened had the north
> and the south been separated.  As you said, this might have made a bit
more
> sense, historically, culturally, linguistically and also with regard to
> religious affiliation (the north being predominantly Lutheran and the
south
> being predominantly Roman Catholic, a difference that has been playing a
> pretty important role.

Not only that. The chart depicting the results of our recent election shows
that, with a few exceptions here and there, the entire south belongs to the
Conservatives, and the north to the Social Democrats.

Gabriele Kahn

-----

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: History

Thanks, Gabriele.

> Not only that. The chart depicting the results of our recent election
> shows
> that, with a few exceptions here and there, the entire south belongs to
> the
> Conservatives, and the north to the Social Democrats.

Yes, I noticed that too (but Schleswig-Holstein, with the exception of
Eastern Holstein, took a sharp right turn).

Although it has now supposedly changed quite a bit, there is, apart from
religious affiliation, a definite cultural as well as linguistic divide
between north and south.  I dare say that most Germans are aware of it on
one level or other, that their identity consciousness is influenced by this
awareness.  This comes with lots of prejudices going both ways.  Still in
the 1970s I would still hear and whispered snide remarks about "Prussians"
in pubs and diners even in Munich as soon as people heard me speak with a
northern accent. A lady from Munich (like a Spanish landlady I once knew)
liked to refer to people of Protestant background as _Ketzer_ (heretics),
even in my presence.  Still now I hear the occasional anti-Bavarian "joke"
from Northerners.  And the east-west divide came to be superimposed onto
this tradition.

Furthermore, note also on the map that most large cities, or large portions
of them, voted Social Democrat, in some cases constituting islands
surrounded by Christian Democrat districts.  This, too, is consistent with
historical developments. Don't you think?