LL-L "History" 2005.09.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 22 15:21:48 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2005 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2005.09.21 (08) [E]

I get the impression that Germans exhibit the same sort of "Russian Doll"
loyalties that the English have; a man is a Yorkshireman in the presence of
somebody from Lancashire, but they are both Northerners if a Londoner turns
up.  Then they are English when a Scot or a Welshman comes in - until an
American arrives, then they are British.  I even know many English people
who regard the Irish Republic as somehow "part of us" despite the fact that
they are no more politically connected to the UK than say Belgium.  Yet in
other circumstances the same people will be vocally pro-English and
anti-Irish. Very strange.

I don't think the other UK nations have this hierarchy to the same extent,
and I don't know of it in many other countries.  Germany appears to be one,
and possibly the USA with State and regional loyalties falling under an
American blanket.

Paul

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Nice observations, Paul.  I think you're onto something there.

Of course, this applies in an even more complex manner at the northern and
southern ends of Germany, areas that became parts of Germany most
reluctantly, especially "free state" of Bavaria and the two "free and
Hanseatic cities"* (city states) Hamburg and Bremen whose special "free"
status may be seen as a special concession.

* You mustn't forget the "and." It ain't "free Hanseatic."

Most complex are many traditionally Low-Saxon-speaking areas that used to be
Frisian-speaking, especially Eastern Friesland, because there are those two
extra layers, a vague awareness of Frisian ethnicity as the core.