LL-L "In the news" 2005.09.22 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 22 15:24:44 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2005 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: Hurricane Rita

Hello Lowlanders:

I live and work in the Austin, Texas area.  I work for a state government
agency that handles regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) and Disaster
Unemployment Assistance (DUA).  Let me tell you that the State of Texas as a
governmental entity is determined that what happened in Louisiana will not
happen in Texas.

You may not know, but Texas has been handling all telephone calls for
applications for DUA from the Katrina victims.  Just yesterday, we were
preparing to lay off the temp employees we had hired for Katrina.  Rita
changed our minds.  All Katrina calls are being diverted to other states,
and we will handle the calls related to Rita.  We have shut down our
telephone equipment in Houston, because it's located in a flood prone area
of town.

Yesterday the weather forecast predicted that Rita will still be a hurricane
when it passes thru our area.  That's never happened before that I remember
(I'm 54).  Hurricanes have always weakened so that they are tropical storms
or tropical depressions by the time they reach us.

The grocery stores are packed with people, and the shelves are empty.  Gas
stations are running out of gas.  My sis-in-law, her husband, and four dogs
will be coming from Houston to stay with us.  My parents live with my wife
and me and our two dogs.  That means six people and six dogs at my house.  I
think that will actually be the hard part!  A hurricane after six people and
six dogs will seem like a pleasant break ;-)

I'm blogging this whole ordeal.  If you'd like to read about it, go to
www.marcosarroyos.tk <http://www.marcosarroyos.tk>

Mark Brooks