LL-L "Names" 2005.09.23 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 23 20:12:18 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.SEP.2005 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.09.23 (04) [E]

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.09.22 (11) [E]

  From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
  Subject: LL-L "Names" 2005.09.22 (06) [E]

  The -um is Frisian, but the pronounciation in Frisian is with a schwa
  [@],
  in by far the most dialects, and at least in all North-Frisian varieties.
  Also in West Frisian a  place like Winsum is pronounced [we:~s at m], Makkum
  as
  [mak at m] and so on.
  (never [um], as suggested to Germans by the spelling!). In North  Frisian
  spelling this schwa
  is written -e-. The -(g)em in Dutch names is [E] or [@], depending on
  stress.
  O.k., so "Husum" is the traditional Frisian spelling and "Hüsem" a HG
  spelling to make sure a correct Frisian pronunciation. But how does this
  match the efforts to avoid HG spelling in lowlands languages?

  Karl-Heinz
It may seem HG, but is in fact North Frisian. The North Frisian spelling
system
(that all dialects except Halunder/Helogolandic use) does use some HG
diacritic signs
but is quite phonological. Length is always denoted by doubling the vowel:
a vs aa, ä vs ää, å vs åå (yes, also a Scandinavian influence), i vs ii, u
vs uu, o vs oo, ü vs üü, with e denoting schwa.
There is no consonant doubling. So hüsem is with a short vowel (like HG
Rücke).
I suppose Husum is the traditional orthography, probably denoting an older
pronounciation
with two [u] sounds (u was [u] in Old Frisian, as in most older Germanic).
Irony is: the old spellings are often the ones that the dominant language
chose as its name
of the place as well, while the name itself evolves in the local language.
The dominant language
name was, at the start, the "proper" name in the local langauge as well
(maybe a few changes were
necessary to account for other phoneme systems), but it becomes less and
less like
the local pronounciation of the name. The old spelling then serves as a
"freezer" for the old name
in the dominant language. Eg. in "my" Frisia, Franeker is the Dutch name for
a town (my mother
was born there), and the name is Frisian without a doubt, from Old Frisian
frana + eker (judge + field, acre),
which in Dutch would have been (etymologically) Vroonakker.
But Old Frisian evolved, and now we say Frentsjer (with palatalisation
etc.). So when we wanted
Frisian placenames on signs in the 50's, this was the name that appeared
besides the Dutch (but really
also Frisian, but Old Frisian) name Franeker.... I suppose Husum is similar.
(we have a Huzum in our Frisia as well, pronounced [hyz at m]).

The North Frisian spelling is quite regular and pleasant to work with.
Having learnt Fering and some Mooring, Halunder was more of a problem to
learn because
of its quirks in the spelling. But I suppose one gets used to anything in
the end...

Regards

Henno Brandsma