LL-L "Places" 2005.09.23 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 23 21:10:42 UTC 2005

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.SEP.2005 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Places" 2005.09.23 (07) [E]

> Ahnolt de Gahvuhnator'ss Kahleefoahniah.

Yeah, that appeals to me as an Austrian! Do you think there's a chance, he
will be Bush's successor?

Karl-Heinz

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Places

Hi again, Karl-Heinz!

> > Ahnolt de Gahvuhnator'ss Kahleefoahniah.
>
> Yeah, that appeals to me as an Austrian! Do you think there's a chance, he
> will be Bush's successor?

Anything's possible, certainly in and coming out of California.  If Ronald
Reagan could make it, Arnold Schwarzenegger could too.  There are two
serious hurdles, though:

(1) Foreign-born persons are not eligible. (This is a discriminatory
constitional rule apparently designed to prevent Englishmen from returning
the newly liberated country to the British Crown, a rule that especially
Arnold's fans are now trying to have amended.)

(2) Despite his promise to go beyond party politics and unite Californians
for the common (much needed) good, he has been alienating lots of groups and
has made new enemies, such as the nurses' union.  (However, American voters
prefer anyone as president that appears to be, i.e., acts, "strong," i.e.,
seems to have conviction and toughness, and his politics are secondary --
unless we are talking about women ... Arnold certainly comes with all the
right attributes, except place of birth.)

Cheers!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: My father-in-law seriously believes I might be given a government
position by my Governator if I play my cards right.  :-D  Oh ja, aber
natürlich doch!  And I can't wait.  German? Austrian? ... What's the
difference?  Ethno-nepotism?  Heck, yes!  Why not?  Uh-oh!  Then I'd better
tone down that Saxophiliac trip of mine, hadn't I?