LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.08 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Apr 8 20:23:00 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 08 April 2006 * Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.07 (04) [D/E/German]

>From Paul Finlow-Bates

Re the language speculations of Ron and Karl-Heinz:

"... I think if the Dutch rulers had a certain concern on
North-Western Germany in these centuries, North Rhine-Westphalia, Low
Saxony, Bremen, Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein would/could be Dutch today
and even further parts of Germany,..." (Karl-Heinz)
"It's always interesting, albeit perhaps fruitless, to go down the "what-if"
lane, isn't it?" (Ron)

On this them, I've often thought about the possible scenario of stronger
Netherlands/English ties, given the importance of contact in the Middle
Ages. William Caxton, who introduced printing into England, spoke
"Netherlands" fluently (when he refers to "Dutch", he means Deutsch - High
German).  Flemish wool merchants and Dutch seamen were almost a fixture
here.

If the family trees of English and Dutch royal families had been a bit more
intertwined, an England-Holland union might have happened instead of, or
perhaps as well as, the England-Scotland one.

What effect, if any, that might have had on any of the languages involved,
is obviously unknown.

Paul

----------

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.06 (05) [D]

Moin Ron!

> This is pretty much also what I think.  It's great to see that someone
> else
> thinks about it and does this sort of "what-if" speculating.

Yes I think no German historian has written that way about it. The
mainstream German version is: The Netherlands have gradually separated
linguistically and culturally since the 16th century, but actually it was
the other way round: Northern Germany separated from the Netherlands because
the rulers in the Netherlands never took an interest in neighbouring
Germany. And Dutch linguistics saw it that way a long time, as Johan Winkler
in his "Algemeen Nederduitsch en Friesch Dialecticon (2 delen), 1873", as he
applied the parable of the prodigal son to "het spraakgebied der
nederduitsche taal" from south of Duinkerk across Northern France, Belgium,
the Netherlands and Northern German till the former Königsberg or
Koningsbergen as he named it. And even further to the Plautdietsch in
Russia. And even today in a way the Northern Germans are seen as the
"verlorenen" sons of the "Nederlands taal", since the source is on the
homepage of the dbnl-stichting in Leiden
http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/wink007alge00/

> Seen from a Dutch angle, the Netherlands may be seen as having been asleep
> at the job,
> or, as you said, they were too obsessed with overseas riches to cover
> their
> behinds.
> What is now Northern Germany was ready for the taking, considering
> also the linguistic and cultural continuum that at that time would have
> made
> it pretty easy to bring in the _Oosterschen_.

The Netherlands were at the height of their worldwide influence and prestige
then, pretty urban, cosmopolitan etc. and obviously regarded their
neighbours in the east as strange people in the woods and mountains, as "die
Pampa" as we would say in German. Some years ago I went by car from The
Hague to Cologne and when I came to the point on the highway where you have
to bend off towards Germany I could only find "Oberhausen", as the only hint
to indicate Germany. Maybe I overlooked another sign or it was "Oberhausen
(D)" (town in Germany, literally translated: "upper houses") or something
like that, but I thought: this is typical, they see the Germans as
Neighbours, "die da irgendwo flussaufwärts dort oben hausen".

> What may have played a role, though, is that until about that time
> competition between Dutch and
> Hanseatic merchants had been fierce.  The Dutch may not have been totally
> aware that the Hanseatic League was dead or dying, and for that reason
> they
> may have been reluctant to risk a confrontation in the east, at least
> farther east than Emsland, Westphalia and the Ruhr Region.

Do you think the Hansa was that powerful then? Maybe at the beginning of
this development. But politically North and Central Germany became more and
more marginal with all these "Kleinstaaten" in the virtually non-existent
Holy Roman Empire and were ready to be overtaken by the Prussians in the
19th century. But when I compare Brandenburg-Prussia with the Netherlands,
the Prussians were a pretty late power, the Dutch were at least 100 years
ahead and could have easily anticipate the Prussians. A nearly absolute
vacuum of political power in North Western Germany made it possible that
Prussians could extend their territory till the Rhineland. Jokingly to our
Dutch friends: Sorry jongens en dochters van Nederland en Belgie, een klein
beetje interest voor Duitsland was niet slecht geweest, misschien heel
Noord-Duitsland was nu je eigen. Maar geschiedenis wilde Nederland als een
Colonialmacht en ik weet niet of jullie kunnen trots zijn op je coloniale
tijd, ik denk vandag is "this heritage" meer een problem als een
"Errungenschaft". (I tried, maybe you check it, Ron, and correct the
heaviest mistakes.)

> It's always interesting, albeit perhaps fruitless, to go down the
> "what-if"
> lane, isn't it?

I think that a partition of Germany (inkluding Benelux) into North and South
would have prevented a lot of the "nationalen Verirrungen" Germany went
through in the 19th and 20th century. Even today I think there's going
something wrong in Germany, Willy Brand was not right with his: "Jetzt
wächst zusammen, was zusammen gehört!" (Now we're growing together because
we belong together). German unification is a mess so far, I hope it's
getting better.

> For your contribution and because today is Friday you get a Hawaiian name:

> Uakokoakai-ma-Kualono
(< *Huatotohatai-ma-Tuarongo)
   a kai: of the shore [Küsten...]
   kualono: region near the mountain top [Gipfelgebiet]
   ma: on [auf]
   uakoko: earth-clinging rainbow [an der Erde haftender Regenbogen]

Oh I'm honoured, I like that very much, seems to be pretty adequate for me.
Although I like the lowlands, the sea, the shore, I better stay in the
"Binnenland". The prospect of future danger in coastal regions cause
lowlands-people to leave their countries and come to us. Since Austria is in
the European Comunity a lot of Dutch people came to stay here. As the Dutch
economise there is also seemingly (a friend from Czech Republic told me) a
certain interest of them to settle in the Czech Republic, especially in
parts that border Germany and Austria.

Nochmals vielen Dank für den Hawaianischen Namen, ich sehe ihn als Titel. Du
weißt ja, in Österreich sind die Leute titelsüchtig: Amtsräte, Hofräte,
Kommerzialräte, Studienräte, Oberstudienräte, Revisionsräte, ... obwohl die
Adelstitel und -prädikate abgeschafft wurden.

Hawidere (Habe die Ehre) Herr Präsident and big Kahuna

Karl-Heinz

PS.: I had a vision yesterday: Martin Luther appeared on my screen and
pretended to be Wulfila. He told me that there really was this word "kattas"
in Wulfilas Bible, but it was deleted because Wulfila didn't like the notion
of the disciples to have been winos. I told him: "You can't be Vulfila
because you heff zizz typical German accent." He smiled like a naughty
little beggar and told me furthermore that he, Wulfila, Calvin, Zwingli etc.
still today quarrel over the same religious matters than in the old times,
but all of them have in common a passionate interest in lowlands-l. They
watch the list from beyond and would be subscribers if they could. And that
he (Luther) and Wulfila think that they deserved a Hawaiian name. But who do
you think is the most passionate of them? Have a guess.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Moyen, luyd'!

Hey, Paul!

My _nomenclator sacerdotalis_ tells me that you haven't received your
well-deserved _nomen honorarium_.   I shall remedy this forthwith, namely in
a _postscriptum_ below.

> If the family trees of English and Dutch royal families had been a bit
> more
> intertwined, an England-Holland union might have happened instead of,
> or perhaps as well as, the England-Scotland one.

Although there were many "Dutchmen" and "Flemings" in Britain, these were
mostly of the relatively low artisan classes and soon came to be absorbed in
the local populations, don't seem to have been considered symbols of ties
with the Low Countries.  I wouldn't be one bit surprised if in this case,
too, the Netherlands' preoccupation with commercial enterprises overrode
everything else.  Specifically, Britain, like France, Spain and Portugal,
and previously the Saxon-speaking areas in the east, were perceived as
commercial and colonial competitors, and the thought of making at least
Protestant-dominated Britain and _Oostland_ into bed-fellows and thus
consolidate anti-"Papist" commercial and colonial power did not seem to have
occurred to the enterprising _burghers_ of Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  One
reason may well have been competition among Protestant factions (especially
feelings about Anglicans whom more Puritan Protestants tended to consider
pseudo-Catholics), and another reason may have been bad blood due to losing
the Dutch-English power struggles in Australia and the Americas.

Karl-Heinz::

> I think that a partition of Germany (inkluding Benelux) into North and
> South
> would have prevented a lot of the "nationalen Verirrungen" Germany went
> through in the 19th and 20th century.

This could very well be.  After all, remnants of a north-west division
remain at least in people's minds and feelings, and that's a mutual thing.

As for your "dream," it makes me wonder if we have been infiltrated by the
spirits of yesteryear, for a Gothic warrior named Oþmar has recently made
his presence known, as our Arthur will attest.  Die Herren Luther, Calvin
und Zwingli have expressed a measure of discomfort being among the
strange-speaking people's of the water's edge, and Martin expressed regret
about not finding his Pomeranian friend Grubenhagen here (who does not dare
show his face due to shame over having made a mess of translating Marty's
German bible translation into Saxon).  Ulf, however, does pretty well here,
probably because all this internal feuding seems just like a bit of static
to him.

I'm glad you like your name.  Of course it hits the nail on the head!  What
did you expect?

Hawidere!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: