LL-L "Music" 2006.04.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Apr 17 17:08:29 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 17 April 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <ben.bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2006.04.14 (07) [E]

I'm afraid there's nothing like this in the Lowlands, except in some
Gaelic-inspired _a cappella_ Scots and Hiberno-English song traditions.

Like anemeny in the tentacles of the clownfish, I had to sneak that into
this list somehow! That would sound so cool, with the tenores singing like
that in thickets of spruce and pine and all that! The echoes would have been
intriguing!
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Music

Hi, Ben!

It seems to me that what you're looking for is highlands music, _a cappella_
singing developed from long-distance communication (including yodeling) in
mountainous areas, echoes and all.  Even though not mountainous as such,
Texas and surrounding cattle-raising lands offer a similar tradition.  I
think the link here is herding.  In the north, the closest would probably be
some Norwegian and Saami (_joik_) singing traditions.

I think the closest vaguely lowlandic equivalent is the sailors' work shanty
of Britain, Ireland, Northeastern America, Australia and Germany's North Sea
coast.  Its formula is a series of solo and chorus lines, originally _a
cappella_.  A good example is the American shanty "Roll the Cotton Down"
(http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/shanty/cottdown.htm) and its Low Saxon
version "De Runner von Hamborg"
(http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/Lieder/deseegei.html).

Here's an oddity: a Swiss choir (Shanty Chor Spies
http://www.shanty-chor.ch/) singing "De Runner von Hamborg" with a very
heavy Swiss accent (no pronunciation research there), though at least they
do the solo-chorus thing that many North German choirs no longer do:
http://www.shanty-chor.ch/musik_muster_cd4/m_de_runner_von_hamborg.mp3

Some of these make it into land-bound cultures' repertoirs, such as "de
grote Buer" ("The Big Farmer"), hier performed by Bremen's Hart Backbord
Shanties:
http://www.hart-backbord.de/de_grote_buer.ram

Related are other forms of sailors' and whaler's songs, apparently also
originally _a cappella_.  One of the more stirring ones that comes to mind
is the Celtic-infused "The Leaving of Liverpool," one of my favorites.
Example (The Dubliners):
http://www.derby.org/realmedia/liverpool.ram

Do the Low-Franconian-speaking coastal communities of the Netherlands,
Belgium and French Flanders have similar traditions?