LL-L "Grammar" 2006.04.25 (07) [A/D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 26 05:03:24 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 25 April 2006 * Volume 07

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2006.04.25 (02) [A/D/E]

From: R. F. Hahn
Subject: Grammar

Folks,

Isn't it true that in the world of Afrikaans there are still some fading
remnants of more Dutch-based "high" literary and oratory styles in which
double negatives and other Afrikaans features that used to be considered
"bad" (and still are in Dutch dialects) are avoided? Let's not forget
that written Dutch, especially bureaucratic and ecclesiastic varieties,
used to be considered standards before Afrikaans became truly emancipated.

Have Afrikaans bible versions and hymn books been revised to represent
true Afrikaans, or are there still mostly "elevated," "Dutch-ish" versions
in use?

I recall that the old Union Building (Uniegebou) in Pretoria had its signs
on features of interest in English and Dutch rather than Afrikaans.

I also remember someone telling me that the NGK (Nederlandse Gereformeerde
Kerk) used Afrikaans bibles, whereas the more conservative NHK (Nederduitse
Hervormde Kerk) used Dutch -  but an older, 18th C variety.  My informant
told me she could understand modern Dutch better than most Afrikaners
because she knew "Church Dutch" (being of NHK background).

I'm going back nearly 30 years now, so I don't know the current situation -
and my memory might have got some wires crossed.

Also from Ron:

As for the double negative, it occurs in many Low Saxon dialects of
Germany as well, but usually not double _nich_, _neyt_, etc. But the
_nich_, _neyt_, etc., does not occur at the end but near the "partner"
word; _Dat hev ik ny (nich) seyn_, _Dat hev ik keyn maal (nich) seyn_,
_Dat het keyn eyn (nich) seyn_. My feeling is that the use of _nich_,
_neyt_, etc., serves as an emphatic device; so, "I've never (ever) seen
that," "No one/Not a single person has seen that."

I wondered where it came from.  Several Afrikaners told me it was a French
influence, from Heugenot refugees, though the people who told me that were
from the Cape Province, where French influence seemed to be held in special
regard.  They even speak with an ulvular "r" over there!

Paul Finlow-Bates