LL-L 'Lexicon' 2006.08.21 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 21 23:03:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 21 August 2006 * Volume 04

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Lexicon

Roland wrote under "Resources":

> Tussen haakjes zigeuners noemen wij bowemels (= Bohemers).

In Northern Low Saxon of Germany, the traditional word for "Gypsy" is _Tater_
(["t_hQ:t3`] ~ ["t_ho:t3`], NL spelling _taoter_).  I don't know if there is any
connection with "Tatar" (as for the Turkic-speaking people, a name later
generalized to denote any Central Asian or "Asiatic" people), though I suspect
there is.

Fewer and fewer people know the word _Tater_--like many other LS-specific words
that have no German cognates or have "obscure" cognates.  Most replace it with
German-derived _Zigeuner_ [tsi"gO.In3`], which was also borrowed by Standard
Dutch (and cf. Danish _sigøjnere_, Norwegian _sigøynere_ ~ _tatere_, Swedish
_zigenare_ ~ _tattare_).

From: Arthur Jones [arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Lexicon' 2006.08.21 (02) [E]

Dag Laglanners,

Heiko en Ron schreeve':
    <I am looking for a Low Saxon word, the name of a tree. The dictionaries <seem
    <to be so incomplete...

    <English: larch
    <German: Lärche
    <Latin: larix
    <Dutch: lariks/lork

    <Is there a Low Saxon name for this tree?

    <Thanks a lot for your help,

    <Heiko Evermann

    ----------

    <From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

    <Heiko,

    <I know the following for 'larch':

    <Lark [la:k]
    <Larkenboom ["la:k=N,bo.Um]
    <Lärk [lE:3k]
    <Lärke ["lE:3ke]
    <Larchen ["la:C=n]
    <Leerk [le.3k] ~ [lE.3k]
    <Leerkendanne ["le.3k=N,da.ne] ~ ["lE.3k=N,da.ne]
    <Lierk [li.3k]

    This reminds me of warm August days, warm Flemish hearts when I lived at
Werchter. Nearby was a small canal, its clean grassy banks lined with larch
trees, all equally bent by the prevailing winds, all bowing to Leuven, all
dropping an occasional leaf to the placid water.

    The narrow cobblestone road there was named "Larikenlaan".

    Also, and staying on the topic of trees, today is, by many calendars, the
anniversary of the pre-Christian Germanic "Nine Nights" that Odin (or Wodans, or
Wotan) hung on a gallows from Yggdrasil, wounded by spears and bleeding
profusely, until at last he learned the secret of Runes.
    It can be found in the Havamal.

    What should one celebrate on this occasion? Wisdom? Alphabets? Trees? Could
Gabriele help us out with this one?

    Met vriendelijke Groeten,

    Arthur