LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.12.13 (01) [E/F/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 15:28:55 UTC 2006

L O W L A N D S - L * 13 December 2006 * Volume 01

From: helgetietz at YAHOO.COM
Subject: Etymology

The word "to take" was introduced from Scandinavia into the English
language, there it is commonly "tar" as e.g. Swedish "Jag tar en av dina
cykler" and to me that somehow sounds more related to Westphalian  "tein"
for  " to pull" (instead of trecken as it is further North), in standart
German it is "ziehen". I can see a connection there  rather than "to touch".

[Helge Tietz]