LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.12.13 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 22:34:12 UTC 2006

L O W L A N D S - L * 13 December 2006 * Volume 06

From: Andy Eagle <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject:  LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.12.13 (01) [E/F/LS]

Heather wrote:
> jonny  writes
>
>>I remembered an LS-expression of my youth: _ticken_, even 'Ticken
>>spielen',
>>which exactly means 'to touch (someone)'. We used this word when we played
>>different outdoor-games; if you 'ticked' someone you symbolically had
>>captured him.
>
> Jonny
>
> This game is called 'Tig' in English playgrounds! Isn't that great - we
> have
> lost all other original meanings / words but the children have kept this
> one alive!
> Brilliant!

> re the game of 'Tig' - I was talking this over with my mother (90yrs old)
> and she remembered it as 'Tag' instead.
> We then wondered whether 'to tag along' or 'to tag on to someone' were
> related
> - with the idea of touching and taking hold of someone  and not letting
> go.
> ......( like the magic goose story!)

The form tig is perhaps a variant of tick: to touch or tap lightly, mark
with a dash etc. cf. LS tikk, Dutch tik, MHG zic, Norw. tikke.

Tag may simply be another variant or perhaps another word 'tag' in the sense
of attaching a 'tag' to someone. Perhaps a form of tack: a fastening, clasp,
nail etc.

Andy