LL-L 'Anniversary' 2006.12.16 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 23:37:17 UTC 2006

L O W L A N D S - L * 16 December 2006 * Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L 'Anniversary' 2006.12.16 (01) [E]

Thanks a lot Ron, we really appreciate it! Yes, grannies are special, I
still have them from both sides. For me, they're associated with my
interest and love for dialects, too: my maternal grandmother always spoke
her Flemish dialect with her family, although to us she tried to speak
Dutch. Now she can not speak at all anymore, because of her dementia.
And my paternal grandparents spoke their variety of Low Saxon to
eachother; unfortunately they brought up their children in Standard Dutch.

A year or two ago, when my paternal grandma's last sister- who lived in
Ontario, Canada, as her entire family - died, Oma told me that she lost
the last person that she could say "dou" to. "Dou" is the informal pronoun
for "you" in Wenters Low Saxon, the dialect of Winterswijk, but through
Dutch influence (D. jij=you), and that of the surrounding Achterhoek
dialects, "i-j" is used more and more in this position. Originally,
Wenters "i-j" was only the plural and formal/polite second person
pronoun: "Dou kaste" versus "i-j könt" you can, whereas the other
Achterhoek dialects only have "i-j könt". In Dutch: "jij kunt" or "jij
kan" (sing. informal), "u kunt" (sing./pl. formal), "jullie kunnen"
(plural informal).

And thank you for the certificates as well! Btw, two years or so ago you
sent me a certificate of merit, do you still have that somewhere and if
you do, could you resend it to me? I lost it, I only have a print of it,
but the quality of that is rather poor...

Okay, I'm going to sleep, it's become Sunday morning here, bye bye

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Ingmar,

Dementia is so hard to deal with, especially in people you love!  You have
my sympathy.

I've already "reissued" your certificate via separate, private mail.

If anyone else wants to have theirs reissued for whatever reason, please
write to me.  I realized that there was a font problem, which I have now
corrected.

Also, there might be some more issuing ensuing for those members that missed
out then but have earned or will earn merit points.