LL-L 'Lexicon' 2006.12.28 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 18:57:04 UTC 2006

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 December 2006 - Volume 01

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Lexicon'

Beste Jonny,

You wrote:
> Vertell ons- keannst' dem Vokabelje LS: ‚einwiddern/eynwiddern'? Hab
> heit Oabend mit meyn'm Bruoder jesproche, en wi kaemen opp ditt Woard.
> Hebbe wii van uns Oastpreissische Vorfahrkens, un dat hett to douhne
> mit G: ‚verrückt machen, „sensibilisieren"' (E: ‚to sensitise').
Just a quick guess...maybe "einwiddern" has something to do with Dutch
"inwijden" (frequentative), "to inaugurate" (E), "to initiate"?
"Weihen" (G) means "to make holy" (eg. "Weihrauch"), Dutch "inwijden"
stands for the act of making somebody part of a higher (transcendental)
world; so the connection with "making somebody aware of something"
doesn't seem too far-stretched at first sight.

Greetz,

Luc Hellinckx

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hmmm ... and I keep wondering if Jonny's word has anything to do with
anwettern 'to yell at', since the dialects of the far east like to perform
distinctive diphthongal distortions with short vowels (e.g., an >
Plautdietsch aun).

And, well ... yelling at people tends to sensitize them, dunnit?

Kumpelmenten,