LL-L "History" 2006.02.15 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 16 00:39:25 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 February 2006 * Volume 09

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.02.15 (05) [E]

Hi, Paul,

you wrote:
> That the Angles, Saxons etc lacked kings is not
> supported either by historical data or archaeology.
As far as continental (Saxonian) Europe is concerned this *is* proved- by
the absence of anything able to lead to this. We're talking about _kings_ in
the meaning of heritable rulers??
This is my level of knowledge, but maybe you (as an expert) know more about
it. It really would surprise me.

Different in the Scandinavian areas: each sub-region had its own sub-king,
and I guess that had been of some influence to the British A-S, perhaps even
more than the Celtic customs.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm