LL-L 'Genetics' 2006.07.04 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 4 20:52:32 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 04 July 2006 * Volume 08

From: 'Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong' <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L genetics 2006.07.04

Hello Lowlanders, but especially those with "Lallans" stripes.
Tom Weir, a friend of mine, is descended from a Presbyterian, Scots-Irish
family who emigrated to Ireland from an area South of Glasgow. They settled
in County Antrim. His bloodgroup is O-neg. It turns out that amongst the
peoples that settled along the old seafaring route to Norway around Ireland
and Orkney (before the Channel was reopened after the last ice-age, the
Scots the Irish and the Basques share a high percentage of O carriers, but
that the O-neg incidence is especially high amongst Lowland Scotts ) Do any
of you have any lnformation I can share with him? Jacqueline

----------

From: 'Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc.' <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L 'Language history'

I'm trying to compare DNA traces with history. A couple of days ago I got
feed-back on my mtDNA and Y-Chromosome analysis from "Oxford Ancestors"
(www.oxfordancestors.com), and this gave some strange results.

As far as I could trace my ancestors into the middle of the 16th century,
they all lived in the South of Belgian Limburg, and most certainly they all
spoke some form of Limburgish.

The area was historically part of Ceasar's Belgica, where a language was
reportedly spoken, different from the languages of Gaul and Aquitania, but
not further specified. Most people think it must have been a Celtic-Germanic
mixture, but that is just an hypothesis.
The tribe living in the area were the "Eburons", as reported by Caesar. They
were murdered by the Romans and replaced by the "Tungri", probably coming
from over the river Rhine.

One should expect to trace predominantly Germanic roots in DNA analysis.

For mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA, mother-mother-mother-mother-... line) I'm
classified in the TARA clan (Gaelic for "rocky hill"). Tara lived in Toscany
about 17.000 years ago. Her descendants moved North - North-West, over the
Channel, right across to Ireland.

For Y-Chromosome (father-father-father-... line) I ordered as well the
paternal clan analysis, as also - a bit crazy - a Tribes of Britain
certificate.
For the paternal clan I got "Oisin" (got his name from Oishin MacFinn, sun
of Fionn MacCummhaill) with a distribution all over Western Europe, but
predominantly with the Basques (90 percent), Scotland (80 percent), Poland
(75 percent), England and Wales (73 percent).
For the UK tribal certificate I didn't get a tribal assignment but a 3 pp
analysis, from which I quote:
"... your Y-Chromosome belongs to a group which is prevalent in Ireland and
northern and western Britain.... it is likely that you have inherited your
Y-Chromosome from one of the earliest inhabitants of the British Isles,
perhaps even from the first settlers who arrived 9000 years ago...There are
intriguing genetic connections between Y-Chromosomes such as yours and those
found in the Iberian Peninsula, especially among the Basques..."

My reflection, generalizing a bit for people from the area where I live. We
may somehow (for a significant part of our genes) be rather Celtic
survivants, be it romanized or germanized. Maybe our ancestors were not as
strongly decimated as historybooks tell us, but just switched culture and
language.

Regards,
Roger